About the Study Centre
Dr. Shakuntala Misra National Rehabilitation University (DSMNRU), Lucknow with the Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI), which is a statutory body of Govt. of India to monitor rehabilitation related programs has signed MoU to establish a centre to address the various components of disabilities namely Centre for Disability Studies (CDS). With an aim to empower differently-abled persons the Centre for Disability Studies will make its all endeavor in a significant and qualitative manner. The centre will act for augmenting research and academic activity for disadvantaged groups especially persons with disability. It will be focusing on the research activities in the area of special education and rehabilitation. Teaching and training in regard to disability orientation and sensitization, pre-service and in-service training programme may be organized for the key stakeholders for enriching professional experience which will play the role of ‘Multiplier Effect’. In 21st century of trans-disciplinary, our education system is resistive to innovation and our research scholars at most of the institutions are bounded to carry out their research in their masters’ subject. Very few universities are allowing students to carry out the research in allied disciplines. At the Centre, Inter-disciplinary and transdisciplinary research activities would significantly be emphasized so as to make the lives of persons with disability comfortable, dignified and barrier free. The centre for Disability Studies (CDS) which has been established by Dr. Shakuntala Misra National Rehabilitation University, Lucknow under Faculty of Special Education would undertake the following activities in order to actualize the goal of empowering the persons with disabilities at the grassroots level. Among the major activities and roles identified for the proposed CDS are:
- To impart teaching and research at the level of UG, PG, M.Phil and Ph.D. programmes in Disability Studies with interdisciplinary perspectives;
- To organize short-term and long-term training programmes for the rehabilitation personal;
- To develop resource materials for the use of persons with disabilities as also professionals and social activists for delivery of services to the stakeholders;
- To conduct institutional and community rehabilitation programmes;
- To establish better linkages between university and government/non-governmental organisations working in disability sector and more.